BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40871
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Detroit Tigers : Reading "Game 34: Detroit Tigers 6 Baltimore Orioles 3" Thread

Message #156 of 252  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Game 34: Detroit Tigers 6 Baltimore Orioles 3
Date:  5/12/06, 11:52am
graphic
In Verlander and Zumaya we trust! Verlander pitched well to earn his fourth win of his rookie season and end the Tigers losing streak. Joel Zumaya equally impressive pitched out of a jam with poise to earn his ninth hold. Verlander pitched into the seventh before loading the bases and giving way to Zumaya. Joel paved the way to the ninth inning where Todd Jones bounced back to get his seventh save on the year.

Detroit’s offense started with a couple runs in the first on a RBI double by the hot-hitting Magglio and a RBI single by Carlos Guillen. The game remained close at 2-1 until the Tigers exploded in the seventh for four runs. Brandon Inge supplied the big hit a three-run homer his eighth on the year. Granderson followed with his sixth home run on the year to extend the lead to 6-1. The run support was plenty for the Tigers young pitchers who once again got the job done.

You really can’t say enough for the job the rookie pitchers are doing for the Tigers. Both Verlander and Zumaya pitch with a poise way beyond their years and experience level. I think Verlander is making a strong case for rookie of the year. Zumaya is in the same category, but I think the fact Verlander is a starter will give him a chance to put up more impressive numbers over the course of the season. This is the first time I can remember in my lifetime where the Tigers rookies are living up to and exceeding expectations.

*** OEs 3 Stars of the Game ***

#3 Brandon Inge – 1-4 with a run scored, HR and 3 RBI
#2 Joel Zumaya – Hold (9), 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 Rs, 1 BB, 2 Ks, 2.45 ERA
#1 Justin Verlander – Win (4), 6.1 IP, 7 Hs, 3 Rs, 3 BBs, 4 Ks, 3.77 ERA

On Tap – Game 35 (21-13) @ Baltimore Orioles (15-20) May 11th, 7:05 ET
Kenny Rogers (5-2, 3.28) v. Erik Bedard (4-2, 4.54)

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #156
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

5663 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The Olde English Ds's Blog

Message #159 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
rmayer78  
Subject:  Game 34: Detroit Tigers 6 Baltimore Orioles 3
Date:  5/12/06, 2:32pm
30 for Inge! Well, I don't see the Tigers losing for a while. They're back on track! Verlander and Zumaya should share the rookie of the year award. I don't trust that the White Sox will lose much but the wildcard is pretty much locked up.

Can Thames get some playing time!! Please! Pull some strings for me OE D's! Get this guy in some more games. I guess Dmitri's injury is acting up again so maybe Thames will start getting in every other day.

Reply to Msg #159
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

6870 reads

Message #161 of 252  *NEW*
To:  rmayer78
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Re: Game 34: Detroit Tigers 6 Baltimore Orioles 3
Date:  5/12/06, 8:56pm
graphic
Bob...Great call on Thames. He gets in the line-up tonight and hits his fifth HR. I expect he will get increased playing time with Dgimpy Young's hammy situation.

Inge has been hitting with more power it appears early in the year. I still don't know if he'll hit 30. He has never even hit 20 in one season so a jump to 30 seems high. However, I may be wrong about him. I thought he would hit for a higher average and less power. Maybe he is headed in the other direction to fill the typical 3B role.

OE

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #161
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

6868 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter