BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40396
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Detroit Tigers : Reading "Game 27: Detroit Tigers 4 Kansas City Royals 1" Thread

Message #128 of 252  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Game 27: Detroit Tigers 4 Kansas City Royals 1
Date:  5/3/06, 10:45am
graphic
Finally...thanks to the White Sox loss to Cleveland the Tigers picked up a game in the AL Central Standings. Improving to 18-9 Detroit now sits a half-game behind the World Series Champions. The Tigers look to go 10 games above .500 against the Angels tonight, which is something I am too young to remember happening. I imagine 1987 would be the last time, but only being 8 it wasn’t something I fully appreciated. Nate Robertson looks to extend his 14 inning scoreless streak against former Tiger Jeff Weaver and the Halos.

The Tigers were able to move up a game in the standing in large part from the continued strong pitching from their starters. Mike Maroth has been amazing this year. He kept the Royals hitters off balance through six innings. He allowed only one run to turn in another quality start by a Tigers pitcher. They now lead the league in quality starts (6 or more innings allowing 3 runs or less). Maroth set the stage for the 7-8-9 combination of Joel Zumaya, Fernando Rodney and Todd Jones to shorten the game. Each of them did their job with the only hit coming off Jones in the ninth. Zumaya earned his 6th hold and Rodney his 2nd. Jones got his fifth save since returning from the DL.

Detroit’s offense keeps doing enough to win ball games. The power hitting continued against KC. Brandon Inge drove a two-run home run, his fifth of the season, over the bullpen in left in the third inning. Craig Monroe again provided an insurance run late in the game with his seventh home run of the year coming in the seventh inning. Detroit also scored a run in the sixth as Inge scored on a ground out by Ordonez. Chris Shelton continued to return to earth as his 0-3 effort lowered his average to .309. On the other end of the spectrum is Marcus Thames. I must mention the hot streak of Thames or I’d hear about it from the leader of the Marcus Thames fan club rmayer. Marcus went 2-3 with a run scored. After the 0-19 slump and hovering around the Mendoza line Thames is now hitting a solid .317 on the season. If he keeps it up he could make it tough for Dmitri Young to get full-time DH at-bats.

*** OEs 3 Stars of the Game ***

#3 Craig Monroe – 1-3 with a run scored on a HR
#2 Brandon Inge – 2-3 with 2 runs scored, a HR, 2 RBI, .241 AVG
#1 Mike Maroth – Win (4), 6 IP, 4 Hs, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 Ks, 1.78 ERA

On Tap – Game 28 (18-9) v. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (5-18) May 3rd, 7:05 ET
Nate Robertson (3-2, 3.77) v. Jeff Weaver (1-3, 7.48)

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #128
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

7263 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The Olde English Ds's Blog

Message #130 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
rmayer78  
Subject:  Game 27: Detroit Tigers 4 Kansas City Royals 1
Date:  5/3/06, 12:30pm
Come on, thames derserves a star! Merely mentioning him isn't enough! I believe there was a time in the early nineties when the Tigers had a pretty decent record heading into the all-star break. I think it was when David Wells was on the team so 93, 94, or 95.

Reply to Msg #130
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8584 reads

Message #135 of 252  *NEW*
To:  rmayer78
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Re: Game 27: Detroit Tigers 4 Kansas City Royals 1
Date:  5/4/06, 12:27pm
graphic
Thames will get a star if and only if I deem his performance worthy of a star

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #135
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8581 reads

Message #140 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
rmayer78  
Subject:  Re: Game 27: Detroit Tigers 4 Kansas City Royals 1
Date:  5/5/06, 11:35am
Booooooooooo!

Reply to Msg #140
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8577 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter